Matt Lawyue

Matt Lawyue

What do you do in your current position?

I’m a Communications Associate with the Urban Institute. I work with researchers in the Metropolitan Housing and Communities Policy Center to educate the general public, media, policymakers, and practitioners on issues facing urban America, including housing affordability, homelessness, and community development. My duties include writing, strategic outreach, project management, editing, public relations, and any other communications needs that arise in the center.

What is your favorite part about your job?

My favorite parts about the job are figuring out creative ways to tell a story from the research using a variety of tools (e.g. data visualizations, feature stories, blog posts, media interviews, etc) and seeing a project’s impact, whether that’s through media coverage, a Congressional briefing, or a conversation with practitioners.

What made you choose journalism?

I initially chose journalism because I wanted to write about basketball, specifically, the New York Knicks. During my senior year at TCNJ I worked at SLAM Magazine and got to accomplish this goal. Since leaving TCNJ I’ve worked all over the world, including NYC, London, Tanzania, Istanbul, and now in Washington, DC. Journalism has always played an important role in helping me wherever I go just because knowing how to write, and write well, is universally valued.

Tell us about the importance of getting involved in student media at TCNJ.

I wrote for The Signal and the experience was invaluable. It boosted my confidence, sharpened my journalism skills, and provided me clips to go find internships.