Leanne Vuksanic

Leanne Vuksanic

What do you do in your current position?

I currently work as a manager specializing in communication for the digital team of a Fortune 50 media and technology company.  Sometimes, that means partnering with our HR and leadership team to draft and distribute communications in support of group initiatives or change management efforts. Other times, it means developing internal communication tactics to ensure education about the products and services that our team is delivering.  I also provide project management and event support when my team has All Hands gatherings and I work with the presenters to ensure success.

What is your favorite part about your job?

I love that my job is different every single day, and that I have the encouragement from my supervisor to get involved in many different areas of the business.  My environment is fast-paced and exciting and I’m constantly learning about new things.

What made you choose journalism?

I knew that journalism would give me a strong foundation of writing, interviewing and relationship-building skills that would empower me to pursue many different career paths.  Right now, I’m qualified for many different positions or industries, which makes the future very exciting for me.  I got to work in a newsroom as they struggled with revenue model adaptation amid a migration to digital news consumption on mobile devices and social media competition.  I got to work at a radio station as they figured out how to leverage the web to augment their listening base.  I got to work as a communications manager for a global food services and facilities management company where I got to participate on the Transformation Team, a group tasked with engaging team members to find opportunities for efficiency and process improvement.  I chose journalism, because I can go anywhere in the world and find meaningful work to support my interests.

Tell us about the importance of getting involved in student media at TCNJ.  

Getting involved in student media is a great way to begin putting your training into practice.  You’ll start building your resume and developing a body of work to make you competitive in the job market.  Having a variety of experience allows you the flexibility to pursue new opportunities, which will develop your mind and resume to allow you the freedom to relocate to new places or to explore new roles.